Monday, December 29, 2008

What we see

We all wear our own set of rose colored glasses, colored by our own experience. Our Ward Relief Society Presidency made a directory for each sister for a Christmas gift. The directory had photos of each sister, address, phone numbers, and birthdates. I previewed the directory because I will helping the enrichment counselor put the directory together. As I was glancing through the pictures I was first of all amazed that they got everyone to pose for a picture, after all there is nothing women hate more than having their picture taken. The next thing I noticed was how good all the sisters looked. Seriously everyone looked amazing, I wondered if they had used Photoshop and reversed aged us! When I got to my picture toward the end of the directory, by virtue of my last name, I looked at my picture and grimaced. I hated my hair, it was pulled back, and made my face look even fatter than it usually does. I wanted to look thin and pretty! So I just decided when viewing the directory I would just skip the page with my picture so I did not have to look at the reality of myself.

On Sunday the directory was passed out to the sisters, and it was interesting to watch the reaction. Without exception everyone had the same response. Grimace at their own picture and only wonderful things to say about everyone else’s pictures. Why are we incapable of seeing ourselves as other do? Why are we are own worst critic? How often I have see sisters that I thought were so beautiful both inside and out, yet they can’t see that in their own mirror. I wonder why they can’t see what I see. Then I look in my own mirror and know that I don’t see myself as other do. Is it because I know the flaws, I know the hidden imperfections, I know where weakness is, I know the true me, not the me I portray to others. Yet the me I portray to others is I part of the true me, it’s not an act, it’s the good in me I share with others. Yet why do we all discount the good when we look in our own mirror? I am not perfect, but I am also not evil, I am somewhere in between. I think I am going to try to look for a new shade of glasses to wear while looking in the mirror.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am really struggling with my appearance right now. I've always had bad skin, and lately it has been worse, and I don't know why: weather, stress, diet, medications, hormones, or all of the above.

But I'm already depressed and I look in the mirror and it makes it so much worse.

Scott says I look fine and no one really notices my bad skin, but I just think he is less observant than most people and he is just trying to make me feel better.

I don't know how to get over this!

Kengo Biddles said...

I know we all go through times when we feel terrible about our appearance and ourselves in general, and I think that Miki and I are often our harshest judges, unfortunately, but she and I are trying to not come down on ourselves.

And FWIW, I think you're both beautiful women. -- this, coming from a gay man, so take it for what it's worth.

Sarah said...

Thanks Kengo--

Looks like you have been a bit behind in your blog reading. :)